For School Year 2013-2014
Piedmont Electric Membership Corporation offers scholarships for continuing education to either colleges, universities or technical schools. Following are the guidelines that will be used to administer this scholarship program.
The eligibility requirements for a scholarship are as follows:
- Applicant must be planning to continue his/her education at a higher education institution.
- Applicant’s parent must be a member of Piedmont Electric Membership Corporation. (Piedmont provides electricity to portions of Alamance, Caswell, Durham, Granville, Orange and Person counties)
- Immediate family of PEMC Employees, its subsidiaries and Board of Directors are not eligible. Immediate family means a person who is a child, grandchild, brother or sister of a Piedmont EMC employee, or Piedmont EMC subsidiary, or a Piedmont EMC Board of Directors member.
- One Scholarship winner per family per year.
- Applicant must be a qualified High School Senior planning to continue his/her education at an accredited community college, university or technical school.
Criteria for Evaluation of Applicant:
- Application Form (Issued by PEMC)
- Official High School Transcript listing courses taken and grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0
- Submission of SAT SCORE with Application
- Participation in high school or outside extra-curricular activities
- Participation in at least one community related volunteer project
- Letter of reference from teacher, counselor, employer, or community person
- Short essay written by applicant Essay: “Describe your Rural Electric Cooperative and how it differs from other businesses.”
- Copy of College Acceptance letter
- Neatness and Accuracy of application will be taken into consideration
The above criteria are not meant to be discriminatory against any person on the basis of any protected classes.
Financial need is not a criterion for the scholarship.
*Applications are not considered without all the above information included
The Scholarship Selection Committee will consist of the following:
- A director of the program appointed by the President, CEO
- A coordinator of the program appointed by the President, CEO
- A Board Member, appointed by the Chairman of the Board
- A high school counselor from a high school served by PEMC
- An At-Large committee member selected from PEMC’s membership
Process for Evaluation:
Copies of the applications will be provided to all committee members approximately one week after the deadline for submittal. Committee members will identify their top 10 candidates by reviewing the applications on their own. A meeting will be scheduled where the committee will then identify the winners through group discussion and percentage calculation evaluation.
An evaluation form will accompany the applications which will address certain criteria on a 100% grading scale:
Scholastic Achievement: 45 percent
Extracurricular Activities: 20 percent
Essay Content: 35 percent
The committee may by general consensus change the evaluation process from time to time. Piedmont EMC will award $1000 in scholarships to four winners.
Notice of the scholarship program and a request for applicants will be provided to the following for publication:
- Piedmont EMC Connections newsletter and website (www.pemc.coop)
- Local newspapers
- High schools in the service area
Scholarship winners will be publicized as follows:
- Published in the Piedmont EMC Connections newsletter and website (www.pemc.coop)
- A press release submitted to the student’s local newspaper
- Personally present the scholarship at school recognition awards days
Modifications to the Process:
Annually, the committee may make recommendations to modify or change the selection process. As much as possible, the selection criteria for each scholarship should remain the same. This will reduce the administrative time for both the Cooperative and the students.
Piedmont EMC College Scholarship Application